How adding a simple common word here or there & some of the Hindi words play foul in one's life

Image result for just words


In the interests of one and all ...


My dear countrymen!

Following anecdotes relating to my school days when I was in 10th standard in the year 1971. Though these incidents are not worthy of narration but citing these here for knowledge's sake to my dear readers and also let people know how a word or two in a privileged certificate can play wonder and havoc simultaneously. Hope three examples below will not only surprise many of you but also enhance your knowledge.

My schooling from 1st to 10th was done from Railway School Gorakhpur. My father had been a Railwayman posted in Gorakhpur. I used to go to my hometown in summer vacation every year without fail where my grandfather and grandmother lived.

Since I belong to Railway, I had the privilege of a free student traveling pass exclusively in my name in the class my father was entitled, issued from father's office which I availed every year in summer holidays. 

In the year 1970-71, while requesting the privilege pass, as usual, the clerk who used to issue the pass ask for certificate this time from school about the holidays. I went to the school and handed over the required certificate but the pass issuing clerk told me that based on this certificate he can issue one way ( for the onward journey only) free privilege pass as the school certificate mentioned only that there is summer vacation and school is closed. Not mentioned anywhere in the certificate that school will reopen on the such and such date. Therefore for availing the return journey benefit too, the date of reopening must be added to the sentence. 

Though it was very easy for him ( school head clerk ) to write but only I know how hard it was to convince him to add " reopen on 08th July to complete the sentence as, "school is closed and will reopen on 8th July."

Another interesting episode also belongs to Railway. One can be able to travel in all mail trains with free pass, there was a stamp on pass reading like, " available in mail train "  and sometimes the same thing written in Hindi as , " dak gadi se manya  " commonly in every free privilege pass issued from Railway to Railwaymen to travel whole of India as specified in pass. Though the meaning were virtually the same literally but in perception, it was not so and hence its interpretation changes with person to person on duty. Due to this confusion, it was risky to commence journey with Hindi stamped over free Railway pass lest one put to unforeseen trouble during the course of one's journey.

It so happened that while going on educational tour, the booking clerk at Railway Station refused to reserve my seat/ berth in any mail train saying pass is valid for passenger trains only and  invalid for any mail train, As a very few know the dak in Hindi and mail in English are having the same meaning. I tried my level best to convince him but in vain and he didn't agree. Ultimately I had to visit Railway office again to re-stamping either in English or clearly written as, " sabhi mail trains me Manya ". So was the intricacies and practical difficulties one has to face with the Hindi words still today. Generally, people have no confusion with English words but some of the Hindi words are very complicated to understand.

The last example is neither from Railway nor related to my school but my Kashmiri friend's school who was my university friend. It was also a twist and turn of a word. A notorious student was issued bad character while leaving the school. Since this certificate can spoil his career and life, principal of the school was persuaded very rigorously by his parents to change the certificate on humanitarian grounds. The principal somehow reluctantly agreed but instead of good character wrote, " not a bad character."  A great sigh of relief for the bad student and his parents but "a word to the wise " for those who is interested and particular.




JAI HIND.





Writer- Sinha.P.K. Views expressed are strictly personal. Feedback / Criticism welcome at Email -pkmsinha@gmail.com or follow @ pkmsinha.blogspot.in

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QATAR- A scar on the big face of Saudi and its Gulf allies

Rather, Election should be held frequently, every third year at the most...

Women empowerment; It brings prosperity & misery both. It's natural, one must welcome it...