Why private Drs. hardly appeal us while Drs.of AIIMS are a breed apart


In the interests of one and all ...


My dear countrymen!


The author is based in Delhi since 1979 and has had a small nuclear family of four that included his two sons. Passing quite a long time here with family naturally, he had to come across many a private Drs in illness or other emergencies while passing the hard life of Delhi.

Following incidents belong to our nuclear family only. It has nothing to do with different experiences of others. It's purely our own and being reproduced here as happened with us with due regard to all medical fraternities particularly Drs. and with prejudiced to none. These examples would be suffixed for a common man to have at least a bird's eye view about the basic difference between Delhiites private Doctors and AIIMS doctors and their modus operandi.



Case no.(1) 

It was somewhere in the year 1990 when I received a call from my elder son's school to reach the school at the earliest as he had some illness problems. I took him to my family Dr. in central market, Lajpat Nagar. I was surprised to see the Dr's behaviour for the very first time when without even any formal checkup she simply asked me to name the hospital for referring the case as the case being serious, he had to be admitted to hospital immediately. I requested her he was alright in the morning, how suddenly fell in serious illness. I kept on pleading to check him up properly but she was not even ready to touch the boy. In utter fear, I left her cabin with my son without any comment.

Since AIIMS was nearby, I somehow got him checked up there in Emergency by a very junior female Dr. of about 25 yrs or so. That time she was under great pressure as some police case was being framed against her due to an infant death in her duty. On my turn, she very politely asked to wait a while. To my great surprise, she told me there was nothing to worry after hardly checking him for 2-3 minutes. She Advised me to take medicine available outside below Rs 10/-. Son was given just one capsule on reaching home. Thereafter, I had gone to my office and on return in the evening found him playing cricket as if nothing had happened with him in the morning. We were all wonderstruck and imagining how come a hospital admission case was turned into a no case at all with Dr. of AIIMS.

Case no.(2)

Seeing nana Ji home from outstation, my younger son of 11-12 yrs of age, out of excitement while getting up from bed had fallen resulting some pain and movement problems in left hand.
Immediately, I consulted a Dr. in private hospital nearing my home. As it appeared to be a fractured case, a good orthopaedic dr. was called for the necessary check and plastering job which was soon been done under great secrecy.

After 2-3 days I just happened to meet and discussed the case with one dr. who was known to me and was working in AIIMS and through him met a very senior orthopaedic Dr. of AIIMS. To my utter surprise the moment he saw my son approaching him, he got up and removed entire plaster on the spur of the moment and told him, come only after breaking the hand. There is no fracture at all. Go home and play. On seeing me upset, he probably felt that I was not believing him. He immediately sent for x- rays just to convince me and really there was no fracture. He very angrily advised us to file a suit against that Dr. who cheated us. 

Case no.(3)

This incident also related to my second son then a student of class VIII, while going to school, alighting from the bus in a hurry an iron rod pierced wholly across near the wrist of the left hand. An injury was deep with continuous blood flow. Since my elder son was also with him. They soon reached a very prominent hospital near the school. I along with wife immediately reached the hospital against my elder son non-stop weeping call. By that time first aid was already given. I wanted to get him examined in AIIMS which was at 10 minutes distance by auto. But I was so frightened by them that he might loose his hand for ever if there is any delay in operation and before that, a lot of tests have to be done inside the hospital and some from outside also. Anyway, everything was done over there. He was released after 10 days with a condition to come daily for bandages and regular check. I went there for 4-5 days.

One day we decided to get it counter checked from AIIMS also. When the Dr. saw the case he recommended just the opposite treatment my son was having up to that date like wound had to be prevented from water, but AIIMS dr. advised to wash the wound with tap water. All medicines were stopped forthwith on the ground of self - healing. Visit too was not advised as bandage has to be done by him himself.
To my astonishment, he recovered fully without visiting AIIMS again.

Case no.(4)

This incident belongs to my wife. We had to go on pilgrimage along with some relatives who had already arrived home. Meanwhile, my wife suddenly developed some severe pain in her legs for the last few days due to which she took considerably a long time in getting up from bed every morning. After long deliberations, we finally decided to visit AIIMS.  It was simply unbelievable, she was advised a very mild dose, a tablet a day. That's all and she had a tremendous relief, at least she developed the confidence to go on tour and she accomplished this challenging tasks cheerfully. Courtesy Drs. AIIMS.

Case no.(5)

The last event is related to me. I met with an accident while saving a passerby who was wrongly crossing the road carrying a bicycle. I was riding on bullet motorcycle along with my wife. As per people's advice, we approached AIIMS. But it was closed on account of one- day token strike. On further enquiry, I was suggested to go to one private orthopaedic hospital near to my home. I was admitted there. Fracture diagnosed at the knee joint of the right leg. The successful operation was done next day. After about a week I was discharged and asked to come after 15 days for removal of plaster. After 15 days it was removed and replaced with folding plaster. It was very convenient as I was carrying on my daily routine, bath too by easily removing the plaster. But I had to visit hospital daily for exercise and x-rays....etc

On my younger brother's  advice, we sought AIIMS opinions also. We were wonderstruck when I was advised by them for permanent plaster immediately. On finding me a little uncomfortable, he strictly told me that broken bones have to be joined first and its take minimum 3 months time. After that, we will see how far leg can be bent through exercise. So don't remove the folding plaster and no further exercises until 3 months. Otherwise, there will be a life long pain in your leg. If I am comfortable with continuous pain do as before otherwise follow what I suggest henceforth. I found his statement as correct as an old man there ( private hospital) was complaining about continuous pain who had also undergone similar treatment. I accepted his advice in toto and saved from unrequited practices and continued further treatment after 3 months onwards from AIIMS only and quite happy today. It's  only due to timely, right and straight forward advice from AIIMS doctors. 

We have plenty of such personal experiences in connection with Drs. of AIIMS which prove their supremacy not only in India but also the entire world. This perhaps may be the reason Govt. has to deploy Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to manage overwhelming crowds, keep on rising further every passing day.



JAI HIND.




Writer- Sinha.P.K. Views expressed are strictly personal. Feedback / Criticism welcome at Email -pkmsinha@gmail.com or follow @ pkmsinha.blogspot.in


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QATAR- A scar on the big face of Saudi and its Gulf allies

Rather, Election should be held frequently, every third year at the most...

Women empowerment; It brings prosperity & misery both. It's natural, one must welcome it...